We are creatures of habit after all! These are the 10 foods we always keep on us at all times. Some we buy weekly. Others are more on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. Regardless, these are great foundational items if you’re looking to stock your kitchen with the necessities!
- Beans: We usually keep a couple different types. Typically, we have black beans and chickpeas. If we’re going to make a soup, then I’ll pick up some kidney beans and white beans, too! These are great for adding into a dish for some extra fiber!
- Oats: One of the easiest things to make. It’s so quick to throw some oats in a pot with a little milk and water for a quick and filling breakfast!
- Green tea: We have been going through green tea so quickly! I have green tea about twice a day. Josh loves his tea, too, but he branches out into others (chamomile mostly). If you love flavored water, but not all the additives, green tea is a fantastic alternative. I’ve been trying to kick coffee more because it’s been staining my teeth.
- Almond milk: We are officially a dairy-free household! After years of Josh swearing he wasn’t lactose intolerant, he finally caved. I wasn’t big on dairy to begin with, but he’s feeling much better now that there’s no dairy in his diet. We usually get unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but I love the unsweetened regular almond milk for cooking.
- Quinoa: We go through quinoa like crazy! It’s so easy to throw together a quick dinner dish with some quinoa, beans, and fresh veg!
- Bananas: I have one every morning. When I wake up, my sweet tooth usually greets me, so I love having bananas around.
- Peanut butter: Josh is more of a peanut butter fanatic than I am. It makes for a great snack on celery or a banana when we feel like munching on something! I will also stir it into oatmeal for some added flavor.
- Active dry yeast: Sometimes, I just really want bread. I find it cheapest and easiest to make this quick bread. It only has 3 ingredients plus some water and voila!, you have the best bread you’ve ever tasted and there’s no weird stuff in it.
- Spices: The main spices we use are cinnamon (for sweeter dishes), turmeric, cumin, and cayenne. As long as I have those spices, I can make pretty much any dish and have it taste great!
- Diced tomatoes: We throw diced tomatoes into everything. They’re a great addition to many a dish and help heighten the flavor!
Some other kitchen staples we have are garlic, vanilla extract, and at least one onion in the house at all times!