Hello, everyone! If you all know anything about me, it’s my obsession with coconut oil. I almost feel like the dad from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” that sprayed Windex on everything as a cure-all! Ha! Anyway, here are the five ways I love to use coconut oil!
- Hair mask. My secret for keeping split ends at bay? Coconut oil. When I want my hair to grow super fast? Coconut oil. When I want to repair damage? Coconut oil. Seriously, this is like the wonder solution to hair problems. When my hair is damaged or my split ends are intense, I will do a coconut oil hair mask 2-3x per week and then follow up with doing a mask once a week once my hair is in a good place. I usually leave the mask on for a few hours. If my hair really needs love, I do an overnight hair mask.
- Cooking. I was super skeptical about cooking with coconut oil, especially in savory dishes. But, you guys, you won’t taste it, I swear! In fact, it reminds me strongly of cooking with butter, but as a much healthier alternative. Not sure what the science behind that is, but it’s great!
- Nail enhancer. I get really dry nail beds, which in turn can make my nails pretty brittle. I think it has a lot to do with the desert climate I live in. I will take a little bit of oil and rub it over my cuticles and nails. After doing that for a couple weeks, I notice my nails becoming stronger.
- Leg shine. I don’t use it in replacement of lotion. But, if I’m wearing a skirt or something that shows the leg, this is great to create a highlighting effect! If you rub a tiny bit on where your leg would naturally get highlight (shin, top of thigh, etc.), it makes this great illuminating and flattering effect.
- Face moisturizer. It’s no secret that I love to use coconut oil on my face! A lot of people shy away because they think it will break them out. I actually have had the opposite experience: it keeps any blemishes at bay. It also plumps up my skin, fills in any fine lines, and gives my skin a great glow! I usually put this on at night so my skin has a chance to absorb it.
Those are the main ways I use it! Coconut oil is such a versatile thing that I think everyone should at least give a shot, if not always keep in their cupboard.
get your coconut oil!