I always love reading these when other people post them, so I thought I’d post one for you all! Especially because there’s a lot of newcomers! If you know me in real life, then you probably already know most of these. I’ll be doing a story time on some of these in the future with more detail, so be on the lookout for those!
- I was born and raised in San Diego. If you’ve read my About page, then you probably already know this. Yup, this pastey lady grew up beach-side her whole life. I’m 3rd generation from that city in my family. Will I ever move back? Eh, probably not.
- I went to an all-girls school. Uniform and all. When my mom told me she was sending me to a high school with no boys, I thought it was horrible. However, it ended up being the best school for me! I met some of my best friends there! I broke out of my shell and blossomed into the lil’ weirdo I am today 😉 #blessed
- I have a degree in Italian. I went to the University of Arizona and received a degree in Italian Literature + Language. I intended to go in getting a science degree, but I fell in love with the humanities. And about halfway through my first semester of Italian, I knew I found my place! For those cynics out there, yes, I have gotten use out of my degree as a translator.
- I went skydiving for my 18th birthday. At first, it started as a joke. And, it ended with me jumping to my death 14,500 ft. high. Somewhere in the middle of free-falling, I remembered that I was terrified of heights. And, that pretty much sums up adulthood so far for me.
- I traveled a lot by myself as a kid. You can read more about it here. I became a solo traveler around the age of 12 years old. It was the most freeing thing in the whole world to travel alone at such a young age! It truly taught me to trust myself, which is a hard lesson to learn.
- I’m passionate about social justice. I can talk your ear off about feminism, immigration reform, refugee crises, civil and human rights, yada yada. I’m starting to educate myself on environmental impact (better late than never). I definitely cried during the Aleppo crisis. I stole my passport from my home freshman year of college to go down to Mexico on weekends to do service (I was forbidden to go to Mexico by my mom due to gang violence activity). Honestly, if I volunteered my whole life and did nothing else, I would be so content.
- Onions don’t make me cry. Not sure why that is…I can actually chop onions all day without shedding a tear. The only time I’ve cried while cutting onions was when my eye was sensitive from an allergic reaction to eye drops. Maybe it’s an Italian thing?
- I looked like a trainwreck when I met my husband. And then I effectively stalked him. This is a long story, but to make it short, we met during a day retreat for our church freshman year of college. Having just graduated from an all-girls school, “retreat” meant roll out of bed and show up. Well…I put on pants, but otherwise, that’s the general idea. Maybe my hair was brushed? After meeting him, I stalked him on Facebook trying to figure out where I could run into him again! (I’m such a little creep, but so are you, I just admit it.) We ended up meeting up again on a group hike! And, that time, I definitely brushed my hair and looked cute.
- I’m an International Honor Thespian. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it means you won theater. In high school, my best friend and I were the Costume Dept. Heads for the theater program there, which means we racked up a lot of thespian points between all the plays and extra curriculars we had going on. We even got graduation cords! But, we were forbidden to wear them by our principal because it was “for the arts and not an actual achievement”. Umm?? Yup, nice.
- I won a poetry contest in another language by having a dream. I’ve never, ever been a poet. It’s just not my strong suit. Senior year of college, I had a super vivid dream. I once had a professor tell me that once I dream in another language, then I’ve got it down. It wasn’t the first time I dreamt in Italian, but it was the first time I had a vivid enough dream in Italian and woke up remembering everything! I remember seeing a poem written down on a paper I was reading so as soon as I woke up, I wrote that poem down. Turns out, that poem was pretty decent and went on to win the department contest at the University.
That’s all for now! I know these are all ridiculously random, but there they are!